Friday 25 July 2014

Wonderful Wales!

I have Just spent three days in lovely Wales. My visit was for business this time and I was in Wrexham which was pretty and friendly. Naturally there was time for a little leisure so I went walkabout with my camera. Here is the result....



Welcome to Wales - certainly was!


We took a walk Tuesday evening through the woods near Erddig Hall. Pretty with wide green vistas and crystal water trickling along and refreshing the countryside.


View through the green valley.


Pretty Wrexham.


The view towards the church. Boy was it hot - and regular readers may know that I am no fan of sunlight!


Magnificent Chirk Castle. This is the edge of the estate.


A walk up through the woods very early in the morning led us to the castle itself. Thank you to John for allowing me to explore before the hordes arrived! This was the first day of the hols after all but at 8.30am, all was calm...


Love the Welsh flag. Not enough breeze to lift it though. I had this picture in my mind's eye.......


I finally had to admit that it was time to leave beautiful Wales for the time being. Just before we crossed the border we stopped to cycle down a tow path beside the Ellesmere Canal and watched the canal boats. 
This beautiful canal has one foot in england and one in Wales so Husband Rob and I were pleased to childishly take photos of each other in different countries. Well maybe you had to be there but after living in Australia for so long, cycling to another country is a buzz! Just give me this one folks....

That is a definite earmark for a future vacation idea. Actually, rather stupidly, we had packed our folding bikes and then almost forgot about them as we set out on a 1.6km walk to the aqueduct! The car was pretty loaded with things. Remembered the bikes just in time, spent the requisite few minutes feeling silly and then cycled off on the nicest ride I have taken in a long time.



The aqueduct is a beautiful structure, opened in the nineteenth century it was built by Thomas Telford. It is 70ft high and has some of the best views around. The picture shows the railway viaduct is the one which can be seen in the photo and I am standing by the canal on the original Thomas Telford construction. That was quite a bike ride actually. There is a 70ft drop on one side and water on the other.. The path is around the width of a dining table. I am not great with heights so lots of concentration was required. 

I miss you already, lovely Wales. I will be coming back soon too.

(C) Debbie von Grabler-Crozier 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment